Wednesday, July 18, 2012

5 Takeaways from SYTYCD

It's Week 2 of the live shows and here are a few of my thoughts on the show:

1Stop kissing Sonya Tayeh’s ass.  Christopher Scott is a mastermind.
Every season there's a golden choreographer.  For so many years, it was Mia Michaels.  This season belongs to Sonya.  Her choreography is very good.  But it irks me to no end when the judges, mainly Nigel Lithgow, call out choreographers on national television.  That is unacceptable.  I loved both of Christopher Scott's routines.  He is so inventive.  Just because there is no angst and jerky movements with flexed feet doesn't mean that his dances are worthwhile.

2. It’s not about you or your movie, Adam Shankman.
I loved Adam when he directed Hairspray.  He is a champion of dance in film, and I dig that.  But I'm over the self-promotion as a running gag.  He is a valid, legit judge.  I respect that.  Too often SYTYCD has complete incompetents on the judging panel.  But shut up about Step Up Revolution already!!! 

3. I have a huge crush on Matt.
They refer to him as Matthew. That's beat.  His dancing partner calls him Matt, so that's what I'll call him. Every season I have a male crush. First was Neil, then Kent, now Matt. It's really all about the total package:  dance ability, looks, charisma, and sex appeal.  I just think he's the bee's knees.  My fave for sure.

4. I don’t like the new voting format.
It sucks that Fox has cut the results show.  With all the crap on TV these days, especially on Fox, they can't spare 30 minutes on Thursday night?  The producers have dealt with it and structured it as best as they could, but the abrupt departure of dancers at the end takes away from the credit due to the ones leaving.  Tonight, no one got to "dance for their life."  It also takes away from the amount of rehearsal time we see during their dance segment.  It is what it is, but I'm disappointed.

5. I obviously am more drawn to male dancers than female.
This goes for American Idol as well.  And don't even get me started about Maks and Derek on Dancing with the Stars. When I look back over my voting history, I predominantly vote for males.  Which is strange because in the Olympics, I always prefer womens' figure skating and gymnastics to men's.  But what can I say?  There is something ultimately sexy about a strong male dancer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your two cents.